There are many ways of breaking a heart. Stories were full of hearts broken by love,
but what really broke a heart was taking away its dream - whatever that dream might be.
Pearl S. Buck

Friday, July 31

A COVID Life - Episode 2 - Distance Learning

Just who is Raising whom Here? - AWiB

THREE WEEKS UNTIL SCHOOL STARTS: Distance Learning. 

So where were you when the pandemic struck you as 'reality'? Mine was the message, 'We are sending the kids home. No more in-class education." As a freelancer, self-employed single mother, I sort of sank. "Hello, homeschooling - goodbye budget and peaceful working from home." 

Energetically its a drain, because the hours I was able to work, became a myriad of multitasking. Instead of admin work, I am doing more cooking, cleaning, or spending time as a Sargent, in addition, twice the domestic work! And those of you lucky enough to have another sibling to distract the child, just remember to be thankful.  

To be fair, I am not a freelancer by choice, but so very grateful to be so at this point in life. The decision was a result of undesirable employment in the corporate world, having ADHD, and knowing what my visions meant were for me to break out and use my unique perspective to help others. 

And even though my initial thought of a shut down was "ugg", I now see it as a bonus we are both learning from home. The release from a mandated schedule, including my son's need for transportation to and from the school, has truly benefited my intellectual property. His academic courses following the shut down started around 10 am at the earliest. As an ADHD teenage male who sleeps in as LONG as possible, the later start time provided a more engaged interest in his classes. In turn, this provided me more time to learn or work in the early morning before the rise and shine of the sole heir of our small kingdom! Another added bonus is this will also benefit my clients because I am learning technology on a pc (son) and updating my skillset (an Adobe Junkie). I have absorbed so much knowledge that I was unaware of until my clever child started asking me, searching, and then sharing the solutions on his own. BONUS results - these interactions have also lead us into more intellectual conversations. In the long run, I am hoping this will transition into a semi-working relationship collaborating on video editing and YouTube productions. 

And now, heading into the six-month extension of a pandemic world, we will have a new registration routine, and distance learning continues. I am hoping for a more rigid school schedule moving forward so we can have some sort of routine, and chore list updated to the level of his capabilities. Personal financial planning is going to be a part of our education levels this year, as he enters his senior year of High School. 

Isn't it amazing that a total shut down has given so much to some and taken away so much from others? We all are juggling the reality of staying safe, keeping our families together through technology, finding matching masks to any outfit, and learning new ways to conduct our business or work routines. Don't forget in order to grow, somethings have to die, be trimmed off and make way for you to feed the new tributaries.. you know like plants. Let go of what you think things should 'be like' and let them be what they are changing into. 

Today's encouraging story comes from my own child: He is currently a part-time dog walker. Fun right? I got a call from him during one of his walks. 

Mom: "Are you ok?"
Son: " Mom I need your help."
Mom: "ARE YOU OK??"
Son: "MOM, YES. This woman fell out of her wheelchair!"
Mom: "Did you try to pick her up?"
Son: "Mom, I can't do it myself. The dog runs if I let him go."
Mom: "I am on my way."

I arrived with the dog's owner, she held the animal, We lifted the very confused woman into her chair. She wasn't hurt and in a very safe neighborhood two blocks from the hospital. She had money and water and her desire was to scoot to her next destination. The kid was halfway through his walk and said, "I will meet you at home!"

If my son is an indicator of what people can do in a pandemic despite the fear of infection, I think we are gonna survive this thing JUST fine. Staying strong and adapting your life, business, and attitude knowing that anything is possible - and if you need help just ask for it. 

MM-2020


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful!! It’s amazing how much closer my boys and I are since we’ve been on our island hiding from the virus. The edge of high school is gone and the sweet genuineness has returned. Love the part about getting rid of things in order for new things to grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO amazing!! I have loved it. I do feel like he is being a caveman sometimes, but most often I see him thriving and growing... <3

      Delete