Our Story begins with a planned trip to Alaska for my son's graduation present. The year of COVID and chaos. I had already contracted COVID two or three months before they diagnosed it. BUT my son wouldn't go to Alaska if we both didn't get shots (as it was required to travel). I didn't want to but TG I did.
When we left the vaccination tent I developed a MIGRAINE immediately. I have only had a migraine once before it was while I was pregnant. After that 24 hours was over, I developed what I called 'fever' in the front part of my brain . The feeling of my head/brain being hot all the time, but no temperature was detected. I was suspicious and I knew that something else was going on, non Covid related. I made an appointment with my doctor to discuss my concerns, to no avail. He talked over me, once I said COVID vaccination, he just brushed it off. No one had any data on the effects of the vaccine at that time (April 2020). Fine whatever!
Over the years that followed, developing symptoms that were abnormal for me increased - quick frustration, depression, despondence, lack of creative flow, or caring much about anything. When I spoke to my psychiatrist she said, "Well let's try anti-depressant medication" which made it even worse! I stopped taking them after a few months as I couldn't get any of my creative work done. Or anything else for that matter.
Every year , I would for my annual check up - go to DR. Hey my head is still warm, which is completely uncomfortable, and it's 24 hours a day! Can we get an MRI? yea you can have one, I get home and NO LABS ordered... and I just let it go. Maybe my DR. is right, nothing to worry about.
This March I was done being quiet, or accepting. I walked into his office for the checkup, YOU are giving me an MRI. WE have to find out if something is going on it's been 6 years now! ok ok... Get home, and guess what? Yea NO MRI.
Little miss Melanie, came out of her shell and made the call to the office. "Doc Egoist said I was going to get a lab order for this MRI do you see it in my chart?".
NO it's not here, he didn't even mention it.
WHAT THE H!!! Dear receptionist even though this isn't your problem it IS NOW. I asked her what kind of man are you working for? I have been asking for this specifics for 6 years now, and I am done asking. Can I speak with him?
I will make an appointment for you so you can get in to ask. A few days later I am sitting in the office afraid im going to attack this man, for real. (giggle) he walks in and says so you want an MRI... Im thinking DUDE maybe you should get yours scanned to.. YES DUDE I have been asking you for 6 years!
Hands me the lab work before I leave. FINALLY!!!
Within the next few days, probably less than 24 hours, I am at the radiology appointment. I walk in lay down, put on the headphones waiting to be scanned. Told this would take 20 mins. It takes 45 with an uhm. I gotta do this again statement. BAM... You were Right! there is something there.
Walk into scan room, she says, we have to speak to the radiologist. OK I wait. She comes back, no you need to speak with your doctor. He will call you this afternoon. He better I thought.
ring ring... Hello Melanie? yea YOU have a TUMOR! I am so glad we found it. (WTF??????) if I hadn't been down your throat about it... sheesh. I am recommending a neurosurgeon.
Schedule an appointment, go to see the amazing surgeon, taking my son with me as a witness. Well it turns out your meningioma is in your front left lobe which leads to (see previous list of symptoms above). My son gasps, OMG... This explains so much, she has basically disappeared over the last six years. TAKE IT OUT. Surgery scheduled. June 23, 2026.
Now as you all gasp that I dove in, remember I have been waiting a LONG time to be relieved of this alien inside my head.
Post surgery, she walks in, how are you feeling? I am like a new person! everything came flooding back to me in the post op. (again son as a witness). She said to me, well the tumor was much bigger than what showed up in your scans and she makes a shape with her hand about the size of a tennis ball. Be careful how you move because the brain needs time to adjust back into the space.
So. There is so much more to discuss about this, but I went home after 2 days in the hospital. Started physical therapy within a few weeks. Speech therapy wasn't needed as I scored higher than most people my age without tumors. Occupational therapy is at the end of the month to see if I can start driving again.
I am disoriented, feeling a bit lonely as I live with my son but he is rarely around, and working towards rediscovering the woman who was before COVID and the 'who really knows how long this tumor has been in your head' (yes my surgeon said this to me.
Today I am alive. My benign tumor was removed with no chance of it recurring. AND the most gratitude I have felt maybe since my son was born? BUT Thats another story.
Please advocate for yourself - YOU know your body. Trust what its telling you and get the dang tests. More to come!
Enjoy my SWEET ASS Scar video!
No comments:
Post a Comment